Low Level Laser Therapy or LLLT is a form of phototherapy which involves the application of low power monochromatic and coherent light to injuries and lesions to stimulate healing. LLLT is used to increase the speed, quality and tensile strength of tissue repair, resolve inflammation and give pain relief.
What are some clinical uses of LLLT?
There are a number of clinical uses of LLLT such as in medical, dental, podiatric, chiropractic, osteopathic and physical therapy. It is an attractive form of treatment for athletes, especially those involved in professional sports, due to the prospect of shorter recovery and lay off times.
Advantages over other modes of therapy?
LLLT has been found to offer superior healing and pain relieving effects compared to other electrotherapeutic modalities, especially in the early stages of acute injuries and for chronic conditions. LLLT can also be used for acupuncture point stimulation. LLLT is a universal method of treating muscles, tendons, ligaments, connective tissue and bone and skin tissue with one simple piece of equipment. However the best results are achieved when it is used to compliment other manual therapy techniques. It is non-invasive, drug-free, pain free and of short duration – usually 2-5 minutes per treatment
Does the laser treatment hurt?
No, there is virtually no heat or sensation with the use of Erchonia Low Level Lasers.
How long are the treatments?
Treatment times can vary depending upon the protocols and pain severity but in general actual laser exposure times are minimal – a few minutes per treatment with regularly scheduled treatments based upon the nature of the ailment.
Is it possible to “overdose” with a low level laser?
No. While it is always advisable to follow established and proven protocols, low-level laser light is among the safest of all treatments available today.
Why Erchonia Lasers?
Erchonia’s lasers made history by becoming the first to receive FDA market clearance for the treatment of chronic pain and increasing range of motion, proven through two double blind IRB studies. The Erchonia Lasers are the most advanced lasers on the market with their sleek revolutionary design, patented line generated beam and the ability to program independent frequencies in all of their family of lasers. It has been found to be extremely beneficial for enhancing and accelerating wound healing and reducing acute inflammation.
With over 200 clinical studies, many of which are double-blind placebo-controlled, and in excess of 2000 published articles on LLLT, this innovative technology has a well-documented research and application history. LLLT is now being considered a therapy of choice for difficult pain management challenges such as fibromyalgia and myofascial pain.
Therapeutic Laser Biological Effects
- Rapid cell growth — Laser light accelerates cellular reproduction and growth
- Faster wound healing — Laser light stimulates fibroblast. development and accelerates collagen synthesis in damaged tissue
- Increased metabolic activity — Higher outputs of specific enzymes, greater oxygen and food particle loads for blood cells and thus greater production of the basic food source for cells, Adenosine Tri-Phosphate (ATP)
- Reduced fibrous tissue formation — Laser light reduces the formation of scar tissue following tissue damage from cuts, scratches, burns or post surgery
- Anti-inflammatory action — Laser light reduces swelling caused by bruising or inflammation of joints to give enhanced joint mobility
- Increased vascular activity — Laser light induces temporary vasodilation increasing blood flow to damaged areas
- Stimulated nerve function — Slow recovery of nerve function in damaged tissue can result in “dead” limbs or numb areas. Laser light speeds the process of nerve cell reconnection to bring the numb areas back to life
Laser therapy can help a variety of conditions including
- Acute and chronic pain
- Arthritis pain
- Back pain
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Ligament sprains
- Muscle strain
- Soft tissue injuries
- Tennis elbow
Credit to: https://www.erchonia.com/
If you require a laser treatment and live in the Winchester and Hampshire areas then ring the Bradford House Chiropractic Clinic on 01962 861188 or Contact us now to book your initial appointment.